To reduce acne flare ups try excluding these foods from your diet as they can cause an increase in sebum production and promote an inflammatory response in the body causing further breakouts:
- Dairy products (cows milk, cheese, cream, yoghurt, ice cream etc.)
- Refined and processed sugar
- High fat and greasy foods (saturated and trans fats)
- High glycaemic foods
Foods that will help prevent acne breakouts:
- Low glycaemic foods
- Foods high in omega 3 such as fish, salmon, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and nuts (brazil, walnuts, almonds), avocado.
- Lean protein
- Water, it is very important to drink 2 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and flush the body of acne causing toxins.
- Probiotics such as Fermented vegetables, Kombucha and LLG strain for a happy health gut and skin health
- Foods high in zinc such as oysters, beef, pumpkin seeds and spinach.
- Foods high in antioxidants such as berries, bright coloured fruits and vegetables
- Gelatin, helps build collogen, reduce inflammation and helps balance blood sugar levels.
Top foods to increase intake to control hormonal acne:
- Kimchi, a fermented vegetable
- Coconut oil
- Get plenty of sleep
- Reduce stress levels
- Drink lots of water
- Avoid excess sweating
- Support digestion and gut health
- Reduce the use of unnecessary toxins and chemicals such as harsh chemical cleaners and plastics.